All current teacher trainees are required to pass skills tests in numeracy and literacy before they can be recommended for the award of qualified teacher status (QTS). All applicants to ITT training are required to pass the skills tests before starting their course.
The numeracy and literacy skills tests:
- Cover the core skills that teachers need to fulfil their professional role in schools, rather than the subject knowledge required for teaching. This is to ensure all teachers are competent in numeracy and literacy, regardless of their specialism;
- Do not replace the GCSE grade C equivalence entry requirement;
- Are set in the context of the professional role of a teacher; all questions use real data and information which teachers are likely to encounter;
- Are computerised and can be taken at any of approximately 150 test centres throughout the UK;
- The number of resits allowed is limited to two per subject. This applies to all skills test candidates. Unsuccessful attempts by existing trainees prior to 1 September 2012 will not count towards this limit;
- Candidates who fail after two resits in either numeracy or literacy are not able to book any more skills tests, in either subject, for 24 months from the date of the second resit. This gives candidates a reasonable time during which they can become proficient at the skills assessed in the tests before further retakes;
Candidates who need to book a test to be taken between now and Sunday 30 November 2014 must use the Pearson VUE booking system. This can be accessed via the skills test registration page.
From Wednesday 1 October 2014, candidates will be able to book with learndirect for tests to be taken from Monday 1 December 2014 onwards. Tests can be booked via the skills test registration page or by phoning 0300 303 9613. Further details are also available on the skills test pages.
Updated practice tests, including punctuation for the literacy test, will be available from Wednesday 1 October 2014. They can be accessed via the skills test pages.
The initial teacher training provider results portal will be available from November. Learndirect will provide registration details and guidance on how to access the results portal in November via email.